Puppy Zen Book8 weeks to train your pup and create a lifelong bond
Follow Mark step-by-step as he outlines everything you need to do to raise a happy stable pup. Week by week Mark will show you what critical training activities you should do and when.
There is a critical time, called the Formative Period, during which puppy training is essential as they can learn skills and social behaviours quickly and easily. Miss it, and you could have a lifetime of problem behaviours. Make the most of it, and you will have a happy lifelong bond with your pup.
Here’s a sneak peek into the book
When you become your pup’s mentor you become the centre of their world. Having a healthy bond gives your pup the security and trust they need to feel safe in the world and stay in a learning state. Using techniques that mimic nature, this section will take you through all the essentials you need to form a secure, harmonious bond with your pup for a lifetime.
Learn how to establish all the foundational tools that will help you build that harmonious bond with your pup and lay down the puppy training basics for life.
You will learn:
- How a puppy learns
- The different ways we train our pups
- The Puppy Zen toolkit
- The basic commands
- How to extend your training beyond your backyard!
Pull together all the tools you learnt in Part C and apply them to key foundational techniques that you will use with your pup and all your dogs across their lifetime including:
- Contrast training – yes and no of boundary setting
- Joining up
- Meet and greet
- Cross fostering onto other species
- Teaching separation
- Fear and phobia prevention
- Puppy toilet training
- And much more
The work you do before you even get your pup is critical in laying down the foundations of a successful relationship and grow a happy, stable dog.
In this section you’ll learn:
- How to choose the right pup for you and your family
- Preparing your home and getting equipment ready
- How to manage the vaccination clash and still do the all-important socialisation
- Write your family rules together and create your 8-week plan
The MOST critical part of the book where we bring all your new-found knowledge together to take you step by step, week by week through what to do when. This section takes all the guesswork out of raising your pup, providing you with a handy summary of what time is the best time to teach critical behaviours (and what to avoid!). This includes the time with breeders, so use as a guide for them too.
Puppy Zen is for anyone who loves dogs.
This book is for any dog lover and puppy owner or those planning to get a pup. It is also a useful resource for vet clinics, rescue organisations, breeders, groomers and anyone who works with puppy owners. It will transform a puppy owner’s life and their pup’s.
Mark’s week by week guide will teach you:
- The ‘why’ of puppy behaviour and how pups develop and learn
- How to pick the right pup for you and your family
- How to prepare your home for a new arrival
- How to undertake the basics of training
- How to ensure your pup is friendly towards people, dogs and other animals
It will also show you how to avoid having a dog that:
- Barks excessively
- Jumps up
- Destroys household items and furniture
- Whines and cries when you are away
- Is frightened of everyday noises and objects
Be supported step-by-step by Mark Vette, with this weekly guide. Beautifully illustrated with gorgeous photos by renowned animal photographer Rachael Mckenna, you will enjoy reading this as much as training your pup.